Saturday, August 17, 2013

Thinking About the Music I Grew Up With

On a musical level, I enjoy much 1960s and some 1970s pop music. It's what I grew up with. But increasingly I'm unable to dissociate the music from the message of some of the music and the lives (and sometimes deaths) of the musicians from their music. I cannot dissociate, for example, The Association's "Requiem" or Creedence's "Fortunate Son" from the hideous consequences of the way the US withdrew from Vietnam (seriously, who that was even somewhat aware of the horrors of Lenin & Stalin and/or of Mao could not have foreseen Vietnam's "reeducation" camps and the Khmer Rouge's "Killing Fields"?! My enjoyment of "California Dreaming", "Monday, Monday" and "Creeque Alley" is alloyed by the way Papa John, Mama Cass and Mama Michelle screwed up their lives (even ignoring the claims of incest against Papa John!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment