Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Things I've Learned In Walking/Running, Part 4

Where to go for workouts and preparing for races? One could, of course, join a gym and use a treadmill. A gym can be useful, since it's good in any weather. But before joining a gym, I suggest getting in the habit of working out for “free”. Places I've done this …

Even before my first race I had been walking in my neighborhood. I used routes that crossed as few major intersections as possible, stayed on sidewalks where possible, and was very careful of traffic.

Near where I live are a park and a community center that have large fields with running trails that circle their fields.

Not too far from where I live is a community center that used to be a high school. The football field has been maintained for various sports practices and events, and has an oval track around it. The bleachers are also maintained, and I've used those for stair climbing exercise.


Also near my home is a fairly long suburban greenway trail that traverses sections of several cities and climbs up to the top of a dam in some nearby mountains. I use this trail a lot, because of its varied terrain. The several miles that climb up to the dam are fairly steep, and are good preparation for hilly trail races.

No comments:

Post a Comment