Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mission & Leadership & Me, Oh My!

I've been "preparing" for the start of our home group for 3 or 4 weeks, mostly re-reading several relevant books and talking with Becky (my wife). Two things that I've long known have become really clear and relevant, raising a sort of paradox.

Taken in reverse order, it is important for me, to some degree, to be prepared. To some degree, I can't share what I don't know or know how to do//be. But, Part 1: Christian leadership is serving, not lording it over people. My "job", my service, is to help and encourage people to grow and excel. But, Part 2: in simplest terms, I can't do it. My best efforts will fall short of what each person and the group as a whole need. And I have needs and am still learning. Part 2A, the good news, is that the Holy Spirit will see to it that people's and the group's needs are met ... if I trust and let Him ... if we as a group trust and let Him.

In Matthew  28:19 & 20, Jesus gave His disciples and the church it's mission - to make disciples. In John 13:1-17, Jesus demonstrated and defined Christian leadership. In Acts chapters 1 and 2, Jesus promises and gives the power and ability necessary for real leadership and to carry out that mission. Mission, leadership character and the Spirit's power form a whole that is greater than the sum of the parts. Lose one of the parts and what's left falls well short of what Jesus intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment