Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Things I've Learned In Walking/Running, Part 3

What things do you need? Well, I'm laying out my stuff for a race this coming weekend, so I'll go over that.

I prefer tech type T-shirts for races and workouts. These wick moisture (sweat) away from the body, aiding in cooling and reducing chafing. One can buy such T-shirts, but I generally use the T-shirt for the upcoming or a previous race. Among the shirts I have are several that are long-sleeved. I only use these for really chilly weather. Generally, where I live, by the end of the first mile or so I'm plenty warm.

I usually wear shorts, though for chilly weather I do wear long pants. Either way, I go for loose-fitting and comfortable, and pockets.

Because of my hairstyle – a lack thereof – I wear a cap to prevent sunburn. I've used caps from Disney, and I currently use a tech type from a race. Both work fine. Both are also hand-washable, nice when they get dusty and salt-stained from sweat.

One area that is a little difficult for me is eye protection (from UV light). There are plenty of sunglasses out there that block UV and wrap around to protect against UV coming from one's side. But because I wear glasses for distance vision I can't use these, and use clip-on sunglasses that block most UV, but don't wrap around. It's something I need to improve.

I wear calf compression sleeves. I bought a set after getting calf muscle spasms in two half marathons. I wore them in the next half I did, and didn't have any spasms. I forgot them in the half after that, and between the muscle spasms and the heat, I dropped out of the race at mile 10. It was my only DNF since my first 5K in 2011! Lesson. Learned.

I wear compression running socks to prevent blisters. I bought them after getting a blister in a workout. Since then I've gotten a blister once, due to debris inside one of the socks; I check for that now. I've used three brands. Champion brand are of mediocre durability in my experience, but their price is so low that they may be a good value. I have Balega woolen socks, but haven't used them often enough to comment on their durability. I have Injinji toe socks, and I am most happy with these for comfort and durability. For 10Ks and half marathons, if I use the Balegas or Champions, I also use Body Glide lubricant between my toes, so that a blister wont develop from my toes rubbing against each other.

In choosing calf sleeves or running socks, don't just grab a familiar brand. They may be OK, but Nike's running socks are almost double the price of Balegas or Injinji. Ask running friends or workers at a store for runners for recommendations and how they use what they recommend.

Probably the most emblematic icon of running is shoes. There are a BUNCH of brands “out there”, and a lot of them are excellent. Ultimately, it comes down to you – how are you going to use them and where, durability, and fitting your feet. You may find several brands and models work for you, or you may find you have to stick to one company's products. I've used Nike quite a bit, and I have a pair of Brooks shoes that have done well for me. Living near a Nike outlet store that has some excellent prices on really good shoes on their clearance rack makes Nike my starting point. One thing I've learned, and not the smart way, is that trail shoes soles wear pretty quickly if used on pavement – street, sidewalk, or paved trail. Also, even excellent road shoes may not be adequate for a challenging trail. Choose smart – don't be cheap and don't throw money at your feet.


Running accessories – necessary and pleasant things. Get. A. Water. Bottle. You may eventually get one of those vest type bladders, but start with a water bottle. Many races have well spaced aid stations, but carrying your own is a good idea (some trail races use somewhat remote trails and have fewer aid stations, making carrying water or sports drink a necessity). Water or sports drink … I've done both, usually using sports drink for more challenging races. Different brands vary, but sports drinks with sugar are designed to give an energy boost and replenish electrolytes that are lost through sweat. Another product that does this is gel packets, e.g. GU. Be careful in using the latter, don't take more than one every half to full hour. They are much more concentrated than sports drink and could cause problems. I use these, maybe 2 or 3 during a race, and always with a swig of water. They. Are. Very. Sweet (literally). I use snack and sandwich sized baggies that zip closed. I keep my ID in a snack bag, the gel packets in a sandwich bag, and I carry an empty baggie for my used gel packets and other trail trash. If it might rain I keep my cell phone in a baggie. In the event of rain or mud, I bring a change of clothes and shoes and a bath or beach towel. Like many runners, I listen to music. While many use earbuds that plug into their phone or MP3 player, I use Bluetooth earbuds. I use Pandora on my cell phone. Some trail races' courses don't have cell reception, so no music on those races.

No comments:

Post a Comment