Thursday, February 25, 2016

Things I've Learned In Walking/Running, Part 6

Why Do I Walk/Run? I ask myself this during every half marathon, along about mile 11 or 12: “Why am I doing this to myself?!” (Rimshot! Crash!)

In my profile on RaceRaves.com (a site for reviewing races) I say that the reason I run is, “To show me I (still) can.” I'm not getting any younger (funny how that works). Where I start, going into my later few years, could alter when those years start and how those years might progress. I'm hoping that becoming healthier now will delay those last few years. That would mean more time with my family, a good for me and (hopefully) a good for them. I'm also hoping that the more I'm able to do now, the more I'll be able to do when I do start to decline (i.e. delaying having to use a walker or a wheelchair … maybe even to never).

Blech! That was DEPRESSING! I've discovered, along the way, other good things that encourage me to keep going and working to improve.

My preferred venue for races and daily workout walk/runs is park trails. Generally, the scenery is a whole lot more interesting and beautiful that a suburban neighborhood or business district. Many trails are amazingly beautiful!


I've also found that the running community has many folks who are very encouraging and friendly. One might only get glimpses of this during workouts “on the trail”, but it's easy to see during races, especially small-medium-sized races, especially before starting and after finishing. Frankly, the prospect of meeting some really nice people in the finish area – and, frankly, the goodies – helps keep me going in that last mile or so when I'm pretty well spent and questioning my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment