Sunday, May 20, 2012

Am I Prepared to Give an Answer?


1 Peter 3:15 famously instructs believers to be prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks us for the hope we have in Christ. Christians tend to see this in terms of serious or hostile challenge, heavy duty apologetics. And that certainly is part of what Peter meant. But for most Christians, difficult challenges are rare, and a small part of Peter's meaning (small in proportion, not significance).
The more frequent application of this verse will/should be ordinary people asking why we are nice, honest, kind, serving. Hopefully our lives are such as would prompt such questions! It's such a "simple" question, but have we given it any thought? I've been asking myself that question. I've read all kinds of books about Creation vs. Evolution, abortion, and certain religious groups, but I honestly haven't given the thought I should to answering a merely curious, "What is right with you?" question.

No comments:

Post a Comment